English : Reading
English : Writing
At Draycott & Rodney Stoke CE First School, we have a well organised English curriculum that provides many purposeful opportunities to enable all children to become skilful and confident writers, who write for their own pleasure and that of their audience.
Teachers aim to ensure that children are fully engaged in their writing and that they understand how to use spelling, grammar and punctuation to good effect by:
- Using high quality hooks (novels, picture books, images, short films clips etc.) to engage children
- Immersing children in a range of text types - reading, reading and more reading!
- Using different strategies to enable children to build up their narrative knowledge bank
- Identifying grammar and punctuation within shared texts and extracts
- Modelling expectations in small steps
- Giving continued feedback so that children’s writing develops through the process.